The medical social worker is responsible for the implementation of standards of care for medical social work services.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assumes responsibility for the ongoing interdisciplinary assessment and development of the individualized plan of care in partnership with the patient, representative (if any), and caregiver(s).
- Assesses the psychosocial status of patients related to the patient’s illness and environment and communicates findings to the registered nurse.
- Carries out social evaluations and plans intervention based on evaluation findings.
- Provides patient, caregiver, and family counseling.
- Providing services that are ordered by the physician as indicated in the plan of care.
- Communicates with the physician who is responsible for the home health plan of care and other health care practitioners (as appropriate) related to the current home health plan of care.
- Assists physician and other teams members in understanding significant social and emotional factors related to health problems.
- Prepares clinical notes on all patients referred to social work.
- Provides information and referral services for Organization patients and families/caregivers regarding practical and environmental needs.
- Provides education to patients or families/caregivers and community agencies.
- Serves as liaison between patients or families/caregivers and community agencies.
- Maintains collaborative relationships with Organization personnel to support patient care.
- Maintains and develops contracts with public and private agencies as resources for patient and organization personnel.
- Participates in the development of the total plan of care and case conferences as required.
- Participates in discharge planning.
- Supervises, as directed, any Social Worker Assistants (SWA’s).
- Participating in the HHA’s quality assessment and performance improvement program and HHA-sponsored in-service training.
- Other duties as delegated by the Director of Clinical Services /Manager.
The above statements are only meant to be a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by the employee of this job. The employee may be requested to perform job-related tasks other than those stated in this description.
JOB REQUIREMENTS (Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills & Abilities)
- Must have a master’s or doctoral degree from a school of social work accredited by the Council on Social Work Education.
- Minimum of one year’s social work experience in health care setting.
- Experience in a home health care preferred.
- Demonstrates good verbal and written communication, and organization skills.
- Possesses and maintains current CPR certification.
- Must be a licensed driver with an automobile that is insured in accordance with state or organization requirements and is in good working order.