The occupational therapist contracted or employed is responsible for the implementation of standards of care for occupational therapy services and for adherence to all conditions outlined in the Service or Employment Agreement.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assumes responsibility for the ongoing interdisciplinary assessment and development of the individualized plan of care in partnership with the patient, representative (if any), and caregiver(s).
- Provides services that are ordered by the physician as indicated in the plan of care.
- Provides patient, caregiver, and family counseling.
- Provides patient and caregiver education.
- Communicates with the physician who is responsible for the home health plan of care and other health care practitioners (as appropriate) related to the current home health plan of care.
- Evaluates patient’s functional status (muscle function, endurance, visual coordination, written and verbal communication skills, self-care ability, work capacity, etc.).
- Evaluates home environment for hazards or barriers to more independent living.
- Identifies equipment needs.
- Participates in the development of the total plan of care.
- For patients who plan to return to work, the occupational therapist may perform work capacity evaluation and may refer to specialized vocational training in accordance with Organization policy.
- Develops treatment program and establishes goals for improved function.
- May teach new skills or retrain patient in once familiar daily activities that have been lost due to illness or injury, in accordance with Organization policy.
- May fabricate splints and instruct patient in the use of various types of adaptive equipment to improve function.
- May train patient in the use of prosthetic and/or orthotic devices.
- Maintains appropriate clinical records, clinical notes, and reports to the physician any changes in the patient’s condition.
- Submits these records in accordance with Organization policy.
- Participates and contributes in the HHA’s quality assessment and performance improvement program and HHA-sponsored in-service training, case conferences, and other meetings as required by Organization policy to ensure coordinated and comprehensive plans of care for the patients of the Organization.
- Identifies patient and family/caregiver needs for other home health services and refers as appropriate.
- Instructs patient’s family/caregiver and other Organization health care personnel in patient’s treatment regime when indicated and appropriate.
- Supervises Certified Occupational Therapy Assistants according to organization policy and state regulations.
- When therapy is the only skilled service, instructs, supervises and evaluates home health aide care every two (2) weeks.
- Participates in discharge planning for patient.
The above statements are only meant to be a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by the employee of this job. The employee may be requested to perform job-related tasks other than those stated in this description.
JOB REQUIREMENTS (Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills & Abilities)
- A graduate of an occupational therapy curriculum accredited jointly by the Committee on Allied Health Education and Accreditation of the American Medical Association and the American Occupational Therapy Association. Meets personnel qualifications stated in §418.114(b)(5).
- Registered with the National Registration Examination of the American Occupational Therapy Association.
- Two years of clinical experience as an occupational therapist.
- Demonstrates good verbal and written communication, and organization skills.
- Possesses and maintains current CPR Certification.
- Understands hospice philosophy; issues of death/dying.
- Must be a licensed driver with an automobile that is insured in accordance with state or organization requirements and is in good working order.
The employer for this position is stated in the job posting. Ensign Services, Inc. provides recruiting services for operations in the skilled nursing, assisted living, home health and hospice industries.